Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas season in Dublin

Greetings from Dublin.

Welcom back to Hidekis Blog Page. For those who have been waiting for the update particularly in India, and for those who don' care anyway, thank you for visiting my page again. After a few month of fighting against the phone company, I have now the internet connection resumed.

Whether you like it or not, Christmascomes every year. Like every other year, Dublin city centre is absoluitely packed with people. I just wonder where all these people come from. Even I do not like crowd, as my office is located near the centre, I went to take some photos to show you how it looks like.


Dublin's famous pedestrian shopping street"Grafton Street", still is crowded after 7PM. If you say it is much crowded in Shinjuku, or Shanghai, don't forget that it is in Ireland. Usually it is much quieter after dark in Dublin.


Off Grafton Street. It usually looks dark and boring here, but now it is very bright and looks much alive.


They spend a lot of effort and money on the show window of BrownThomas shopping mall. This year, for me it is quite difficult to comment on it. It does not look Christmas, but does look quite something.


Big Christmas Tree in front of General Post Office on the O'Connel Street.

I was a little embarrased to take photos in the crowd but there were lots of people doing the same thing.


After the photo session, I and my friend went to a Chinese restaurant. My favorite dish here is

Double Cooked Pork.

It is widely know in Japan as "hoy koh roh", but Chinese lady would not understan the way we say in Japan. Last time I was here, I asked to the same lady how to pronounce this dish. "hui guo rou" is how you say it.

So this time I said proudly "I would like to have hui guo rou please"

? ? ? ? ?

Hm? Isn't it hui guo rou?

? ? ?

hui guo rou hui guo rou hui guo rou


She was thinking every possible dish she could remember, out of my poor pronounciation.


Ah, you mean hui guo rou? OK OK, no problem.


That's what exactly I was saying.

My father who studied Chinese used to say to his son that "what's most difficult while studying Chinese is how to speak". It is much harder than I thought....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hideki...Nice pics. What are your plans for this christmas? Do you know the name of that dish in "english" .

Hidekis said...

Nothing much for this Christmas. I might go to Germany after Christmas though. What about yours?

Anonymous said...

I am going to calcutta for Christmas and new year...

Hidekis said...

I was too late to buy flight ticket to Germany, and now it is quite expensive. I think I will be ending up in Dublin.